Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pumpkins and Peaches

Even though fall hasn't officially arrived, our backyard is showing wonderful signs that it is just about here! A few years ago my Grandpa planted a couple of peach trees, and man alive have they produced this year! We are hoping to start canning really soon. Not only are our peaches growing, but are pumpkins are too! I don't know why, but pumpkins are so exciting to see grow. So far we have 7 pumpkins growing. I never thought I would really get into gardening, but it seriously is one of the greatest feelings to not only have success, but to pick what you have grown. We have learned a thing or two this year about gardening though. We planted squash this year, and even though Kyle and I both love to eat squash, I think we might take a break next year from it. We have squash coming out of our ears!! It just won't stop growing! Also we had raspberries growing at the beginning of the summer, so I made an attempt to make raspberry jam. Well that raspberry jam seriously tasted like I was eating sugar straight from a jar. Note to self...calm down on the sugar when making it next time. The girls of course loved it and were wired that evening that they ate it on their toast. Gardening is definitely a live and learn process, but it is sure fun!

No comments: